Sunday 1 January 2012

Deaf Journaling


Deaf Journaling by Kathern G. Lawrence

Deaf journaling is a very important form of writing about the lives of Deaf people, Deaf clubs, or deaf-related topics for historical purposes. Eventually researchers may find pertaining information online about us. Such written documents need to be kept permamently online to share with readers, both Deaf and hearing. I am going to write journals and include photos re: experiences that I have been having at the Deaf Community in the regions of Atlantic Provinces, Canada, and other nations. Hopefully, it will give better understanding and great insight to the public about the lives of Deaf people and our culture.
Even though I have been a part of the hearing community, I consider myself culturally Deaf because the Deaf and I share something in common: visual language, including sign language; manners; social values; and mutual feelings originating from past experiences in our lives. I was educated at schools - Halifax School for the Deaf; Interprovincial School for the Deaf, Amherst; Edith Cavel School, Moncton; Moncton High School; and colleges - Gallaudet University, Washington, D.C.; Western Maryland College, Maryland; and University of Alberta, Edmonton.  

I have always been interested in writing about the history of Deaf people, Deaf community, and our culture. Through research online, there appears to be the lack of enough stories about Deaf people in Canada. For that reason, I want to contribute my time to writing for the Deaf  people. From time to time, I am going to write about today's events and past experiences about ourselves in the Deaf Community.

K.G. Lawrence's Deaf Journaling  is based on her reflections of Deaf people's lives and hearing people involved in the Deaf Community. Thus, this journaling is endorsed as the ownership of Kathern Geldart Lawrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment